Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Through a child's eyes

I love watching Avery discover her world. I especially noticed her discoveries this Christmas. While many of us have tuned out the hubbub of the season, Avery was in sensory-overload. Anytime we would pass a Christmas tree, she would fixate on it, and if close enough, would reach for the ornaments and gaze at them as if they were her own personal crystal ball, viewing the future. I wish I had a picture of Avery every single morning that our Christmas tree stood. It became our routine to set her on the living room floor and say, "Ready?" She would grin and sit attentively and wait for me to plug the Christmas lights in. As soon as they would light up, her face would glow and she would begin clapping. I mean, really? Who finds wonder and delight in lighting the tree? Who cranes their neck upward to see the large holiday signs hanging from the ceilings of every retailer around? Who is delighted to play with tissue paper, bows, and paper, and not care about what's inside? I did this year. Thanks to Avery.



4 comments:

Great Aunt Becky said...

How precious, you have quite an adoreable little girl.

ryanandtirzawolf said...

That is so sweet and so true!

Jessica Whitlock said...

This brought tears to my eyes...how sweet. I can't wait to experience this mommy joy and join the club. I am glad to hear the your Christmas went well. Jessica

Ryan and Mandy Pelhank said...

Now those are the kind of memories that you as a mom will remember for the rest of your life. Thank you for sharing.