Waking up at our own house on Christmas morning was priceless. Though she knows of Santa and what he brings, apparently Avery is still young enough that she bypassed the tree this morning on her way to our bedroom to see if we were awake. We asked her if Santa had been here and she said, "I don't know." This was good since she beat us getting up and I wanted to videotape her reaction. She made her way over to the tray where she had left milk and cookies and much to her delight, they were gone! Santa must have been in a hurry because he left behind some crumbs.
We opened presents and emptied our stockings. Avery took turns either opening or handing out presents. When we were finished, I wanted to explain to her what it means to be blessed and how we should be thankful for what we have. To this attempt, I explained to her with Aaron's help, that God has given us many things, including presents and money to buy them. Some other kids don't have any presents or they have very few. It's important that we share with others and that we thank God for what we do have. We then prayed a short prayer thanking God for our presents. And that was it. We tried to keep it simple and to the point.
A big breakfast consisting of homemade waffles, bacon, and eggs were in order- another new tradition, I do believe! And what else do you do on Christmas day with 7+ inches of snow outside? Play in it, of course!
And now to the moment of the day that warms my heart and replaces any physical gift I may have opened: Before putting the kids in bed, Aaron read the Christmas story aloud from the Bible to us as we sat in front of the tree. Aaron put Avery to bed and somewhere in that process, she stopped and said to him that next year she wants to give some money to people because not all parents have jobs and some kids don't have toys. Avery took Aaron's face in both her hands and said, "I'm so happy!" Oh, this girl. More than 12 hours later, she pulled out that tidbit of information we gave her and used it. She got it. At least for the time-being. Hopefully, seeds of compassion and giving have been planted.
 |
| The cookies and milk are gone! |
 |
| Which present should we open first? |
 |
| Being patient while daddy opens his gift. |
 |
| A new outfit for her Bitty Baby doll. |
 |
| Their first Christmas morning together with many to come. |
 |
| Love these girls! |
 |
| Time to play! |
1 comment:
How precious, it is so good to read the traditions you are starting in your own family. As your girls get older they will remember the fun and meaningful traditions that you and Aaron have started. Your mom and I also have some fun and meaningful traditions that we have tucked away in our heart that I know when we start missing our loved ones, we can pull those out and feel the love they represent.
Post a Comment