Friday, November 19, 2010

Big sister Avery

For almost my entire pregnancy, we did our best to talk up the fact that Avery would become a "big sister".  She'd be able to help us with the new baby and she'd have so many things to teach her new sibling.  Avery often made reference to my growing belly and the occupant inside making it do so.  Some days she wasn't so sure she wanted this new kid around invading her space, but most other days she was excited.  She talked of how she would share certain baby dolls and how the baby would be too little to do other things.  We bought her big sister books that helped to prepare in her head how things would be different, but in a good way.  Now that Emmersen is here, Avery is doing all she said she would.  She loves to help change the baby, feed, bathe, and talk to Emmersen.  She loves the extra attention that she receives from people because she's the big sister.  She especially loves those big sister presents!

More importantly, Avery seems to be more at ease now that Emmersen has arrived.  It seemed to me that she was a bit apprehensive on how things would be once the baby arrived or how she would still fit in.  She was extremely clingy to me during the pregnancy and often acted out.  Now, she's more relaxed.  I think this is because she sees that yes, Emmersen is here, but no, she's not lost her place in our love.

The first time that Avery held Emmersen, I cried.  It was an absolutely beautiful sight.  She was in awe and completely captivated.  I love my girls and I love how Avery loves Emmersen.  Avery is a wonderful big sister!









1 comment:

Great Aunt Becky said...

Adoreable pictures, Avery will be a great big sister and if she needs any advice she can ask me, I was an outstanding big sister!!!